I’ll be honest — this week has me feeling just a little disoriented. I spent the majority of the week working from Pennsylvania where my family lives, and while I was able to use that time to get lots of work done and also do a little fresh-air-reboot outside of the city, the mid-week travel has set me off of my game. The regular deadline cycle I’m now working on means that the weekends require work and research and Monday through Wednesday are the most intense days of writing, so I’m also adjusting to a bizarre-feeling schedule where Thursdays and Fridays are naturally a little quieter. Add in a brewing cold virus and I’m just not quite myself.
What better way to perk up than a little Gratitude Diaries? Here are a few things that I am feeling especially thankful for right about now:
- Matt. While I’m working hard to respect the privacy of my loved ones and avoid sharing TOO much about them here, it’s basically impossible for me to leave my husband out! He jokes that he’s become the “star of the blog,” which is particularly funny given the fact that he’s about as removed from social media as you can possibly be in 2016. I’m pretty sure that this is the only thing he reads online other than the news, which I guess I should take as a major compliment : ) ANYWAY, I’m going to embarrass him just a little bit today because he is at the top of my gratitude list. We spent the majority of the week apart while I was working and spending time with family, and being away from him really reminded me of how much I value our little life here in Brooklyn. Matt is my truest friend and such an incredible cheerleader for everything I do. I’m pretty sure we both laugh about ten times more often when we are together than when we are apart, mostly about the silliest things. I appreciate all of our weird conversations (last night, we may or may not have talked about the movie Babe for about 30 minutes) and inside jokes. I feel really lucky to have him as my husband.
- Semi-sick days. My throat started hurting while I was in Pennsylvania, and I’ve been feeling increasingly crummy ever since. One of the awesome benefits of my old company was an amazing sick day policy, and I’m seeing that one of the both advantages and disadvantages of working for yourself is not having “official” days off when you’re not feeling well. Especially in this early stage of building my business and body of work, I’m not comfortable taking a full day off just because I’m sick, but I’m also far from operating at 100%. It feels weird to be taking breaks to relax and watch TV throughout the day, but I’m trying to be kind to my body and remind myself that, even though I may lose a few hours this week, I’m still getting a lot more work done than I ever did when I was sick at my corporate job. I’m grateful for the flexibility I have to take better care of myself these days. Feeling under the weather has also been a good reminder of how much I enjoy what I’m doing for work now, because it makes me sad that I’m having to scale back while I get better.
- Good Girls Revolt. Matt and I tend to have a really hard time finding TV shows that we can agree on, so most of the time we end up binge watching our old favorites over and over again. I’ve never watched any of the Amazon original shows before, but “Good Girls Revolt” caught my eye last week, and we finally got around to watching the first episode last night. I would absolutely recommend it! I’m a big fan of music and fashion from the ’60s and ’70s, so the setting totally appeals to me, PLUS it’s about a bunch of fierce female magazine writers who I’m kind of obsessed with. I’m especially grateful that we stumbled on this show just before the weather starts to get cold so we can start working our way through it as winter hibernation sets in.
- My new laptop. Somehow, my old MacBook Pro was still hangin’ in there from my college days, but it was realllllly starting to slow me down now that I’m working full-time from my home computer. Thanks to contributions from my family members as my birthday gift, we were finally able to pick up my new MacBook Air this weekend! Since I’m pretty frugal, it’s rare that I make big investments like this, which makes me all the more appreciative when it happens. My old laptop was wasting even more of my time than I realized, and working on a better system is making it a lot more fun to come to work. (PLUS, I ordered a really fun girly case that makes me smile every time I see it.)
- Lemongrass Grill. Because we treated ourselves to take-out when I got back from Pennsylvania and this is my absolute FAVORITE place to order from, especially when I’m sick. Thank you, Lemongrass, for magically making my throat feel a little better!
Happy weekend, everyone! Is there anything that you’re feeling extra grateful for this week?