Oh man, I really can’t get enough of them.
I’ll admit that I was pretty late to the party with this whole medium. For years, I would hear people talk about their favorite podcasts and just sort of smile and nod, never understanding how I would be able to work yet another form of pop culture into my life. I tended to read on the subway, listen to a favorite playlist while walking around the city, and binge watch reality TV when it was time to unwind at home. I was covered.
My first foray into podcasts was The Lively Show, which I’ve mentioned a handful of times here on the blog and will plug again later in this post : ) Jess’s focus on interviewing interesting, successful, creative, and entrepreneurial women totally lit a spark in me, and as soon as I discovered her show, I tore through the entire archive (clearly, there aren’t many things I do halfway).
Over the last year or so, I’ve started trying out new shows, and more recently, I discovered the app Stitcher, which has been kind of a game changer. As great as iTunes and the standard Podcast app are, I don’t think they’re the best for discovering new content, which is why I love Stitcher so much. It blows my mind how many smart and funny people are out there producing their own shows, and I’m loving the process of finding so many of them, one by one.
These days, I listen to a lot of podcasts — while I’m running errands, while I’m in the car, while I’m getting things done around the apartment, while I shower (yup, while I shower). Obviously, working from home on my own can get quiet, and most of the time, I don’t mind it, but it’s really nice to be able to queue up a show on our Bluetooth speaker every once in a while and have another voice around.
I was with some friends last weekend who are also big podcast listeners, and we were swapping notes on our favorites, so I thought I’d do the same today! Keep reading for info on five shows I’ve been loving lately. If you’re a podcast doubter (like I was), I think any of these could be a good place to start. You might just get addicted like me.
1. The Lively Show (obviously): I’ve definitely plugged Jess before, but by way of giving you more details, I’ll say here that I’m actually most fond of some of the older episodes of this particular podcast. Jess switches up her approach fairly regularly (which I actually think is really great and dynamic), and these days, she’s been talking more about her (amazing) globetrotting adventures and some of the soul-searching she’s been doing along the way. If you hunt through her archives, though, you’ll find more of her interview episodes, which are my favorite. I learned so much about taking risks in life and business from those shows, and I can honestly say that they helped give me the boost I needed to start this freelancing journey in the first place. My favorite episode is actually the one that introduced me to Ashley LeMieux, founder of the The Shine Project (which you all know is so close to my heart).
2. The Goal Digger Podcast: Jenna Kutcher is doing now what Jess Lively was doing a few years ago — interviewing really fabulous female entrepreneurs, most of whom are running creative businesses and doing generally cool things. Jenna also brings her years of experience in building a wedding photography business to the table, and I’m finding that I have a lot to learn from her from a professional development standpoint. She’s also really likable and has lots of amazing connections (I just saw on Stitcher today that she once interviewed the woman who designed my wedding dress … you can bet I flagged that one for later!).
3. Gilmore Guys: This one is just pure fun. I’ve talked previously about my love for all things Gilmore (I’ve probably mentioned this podcast, too), and it makes me so happy to listen to Kevin, Demi, and their guests totally deconstruct every episode of the show. If I need a pick-me-up, I’ll dig into their archive and find an older episode about one of my favorite Gilmore Girls moments. These days, they’re actually discussing Bunheads, which doesn’t come anywhere close to Gilmore, but I’m enjoying the mindlessness of watching this new (to me) show week-to-week and listening to the guys banter about it. It’s refreshing to hear people who really understand pop culture talk about it in an intelligent way.
4. S-Town: Yeah, yeah, I know… everyone is talking about this show right now, so I’ll add my voice to the chorus. I actually just started listening yesterday, and I’m already hooked! If you loved Serial (or if you never got around to tuning in, but always wondered what the fuss was about), it’s definitely worth trying this one out. For the record, I’ll pretty much listen to anything associated with This American Life, but S-Town doesn’t disappoint.
5. we are the REVELERS: I’m a huge fan of anyone and anything that celebrates life’s small and special moments, which is why I’ve really enjoyed the episodes I’ve heard so far of we are the REVELERS. The show is hosted by a husband and wife team who are “on a mission to romance the ordinary and revel in all the bits of glorious lining the insides of our lives” (really, who could say it better than that?).
Really, this is just the tip of the iceberg… there is SO much great content out there that I’ve been listening to and enjoying! Are there other podcasts that you can’t get enough of? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below!