It’s almost here, it’s almost here! My very favorite holiday of the year!
Matt and I are packing up the car and heading back to Pennsylvania tonight after work, so please please send a little no-traffic vibes my way because I have no idea what to expect leaving Brooklyn on Thanksgiving Eve. (I promise to send some easy travel vibes right back atcha, so your own travel karma definitely won’t suffer.) For the past few years, I’ve traveled back to Pennsylvania a few days before Matt, but this year, we decided to make the trip together. It seems like the married people thing to do — plus, I have enough work to finish up today that I’d kind of rather knock it all out right here in my normal office so that I can go home tonight and fully sink into holiday mode.
It’s been quite a while since my last edition of Gratitude Diaries (the last entry was back in June!), and with less than 24 hours left before the most thankful day of the year, this seems like the perfect time to bring back one of my very favorite blog series. And while I’m naturally appreciative of big picture things like my family and my health and my home and my marriage, I happen to think that these posts are that much more fun when I focus on the smaller details that can be easier to brush off or take for granted. I try to practice gratitude daily in an easy way (I’ve kept more detailed gratitude journals in the past, but I find that I often fall off the wagon if my personal expectation is that the entires should be long and detailed) by noting one thing I appreciate at the end of every day on my monthly calendar. It’s kind of the equivalent of crossing days off countdown-style, but it looks a lot more colorful and makes you feel a lot better about life in the process!
Here are a few things I’ve been feeling a little extra love for over the last few weeks…
- Afternoon walks, because whether you work in a traditional office or out of your home and for yourself, it’s important to step away from the desk when you can and get some fresh air, even if it’s only for a few minutes. So many of us eat lunch in front of our computers (guilty!), so we owe ourselves a little time away from the to-do list whenever possible. It helps break up the day!
- Couch naps, because even with all of my sleep issues, I can still crash HARD on the sofa every once in a while on a weekend afternoon — and there are few things that feel better than that.
- Friends with puppies, because I’m loving having an excuse to visit with one of my besties and squeeze in some puppy snuggles at the same time. Plus, I get to be the kind of cool aunt that goes for fun walks and offers treats for cute behavior but doesn’t have to get up in the middle of the night and wait around for the pup to do his business in the cold.
- Cookie dough ice cream, because I picked up a pint for myself the other night while Matt was out with friends and I’ve never regretted anything less.
- My new holiday dress. I fully plan on rocking this little number from Shop Ashley Le Mieux as much as possible this season! The boutique has tons of great — and affordable! — pieces available for holiday. Shop this link to check it out. I think they’re running great sales this weekend, too!
- Vitamin D, because, as I mentioned in this post, it’s really helped my sleep and generally made me feel a lot better.
- Grown-up friend sleepovers, because there are few things I find more hilarious than spending a Sunday morning lounging around on an air mattress with friends from out of town after a long night out.
- Zumbo’s Just Desserts, because it’s my new Netflix obsession and I’m trying to get everyone to watch it. Picture your favorite American baking show, but add desserts that are as magical as anything out of Willy Wonka, plus some seriously amazing Australian accents. My only complaint about this show is that there is only one season so far!
- Hot chocolate, because ’tis the season! I’m going to be totally honest with you — sometimes, I’m only in it for the whipped cream and/or marshmallows… but no one can tell me how to drink my cocoa!
Friends, I’m certainly grateful for you, as well — today and always. I am so appreciative of how you continue to grow this community with me, and I can’t wait to see how we continue to support each other and celebrate life’s moments in the future.
Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you!
And if you’re already thinking ahead to all of the shopping opportunities ahead of you post-Thanksgiving, then you best stop by again on Black Friday! I’ll be kicking off the November giveaway… which means you’ll be able to grab something fun for yourself without waiting in crazy lines or even paying a dime.