Hi friends! Welcome to Tuesday! I, for one, am feeling like a million bucks after finally getting a solid night of sleep post-three straight days of pretty frustrating insomnia. It’s amazing what a little rest can do for your spirit!
We spent the weekend celebrating Matt’s return from London, which mostly involved drinking mimosas and ensuring that he beat jet lag (AKA me waking him up every time he fell asleep at a weird time on the couch). I also spent Sunday afternoon with some friends at The Wing — my new favorite place — working on some fun projects and catching up on life.
My only complaint about the weekend? This weather! What is going on? Today is supposed to be the first day of spring, and the end of winter couldn’t seem farther away at the moment.
It’s been a while since I checked in with some Real Talk, and the last one was pretty intense, so I thought I’d go ahead and get real with a few embarrassing and hopelessly honest confessions from the last few weeks…
- For the first time in my work-from-home life to date, I snuck a few spoonfuls of ice cream in the middle of the day. It was cookie dough and it was Friday. Beyond that, I have no explanation.
- Sometimes, I fantasize about a genie showing up in my office and offering to grant me a single wish, because I’d quite simply ask him (or her!) to help me figure out how to better manage my emails. I know, I know — it’s the lamest wish ever, but I kind of dream about it, especially in that last flood of messages that seems to come through near the end of every afternoon.
- We’ve been stocking Reese’s chocolate peanut butter Easter eggs in the freezer since the day after Valentine’s Day.
- Sometimes, I doodle in my notebooks when I’m on a phone interview. I’m still totally paying attention, of course, but I have lots of great art to show for those hours, too.
- I’ve cried during every episode of the American Idol reboot so far.
- Bachelor Nation might be my favorite book of the year so far, in spite of the fact that I’ve read a lot of highly-acclaimed historical fiction and literary fiction. Hey, we like what we like.
- I immediately delete any email in which my name is spelled incorrectly. Like, immediately. Without even opening it.
- When things feel frustrating here in the home office, I typically turn to Broadway soundtracks. Recently, I’ve worked my way through Oklahoma!, Fiddler on the Roof, and Waitress. Repeatedly.
- Lately, I’ve found myself feeling a lot of jealousy toward other writers. Before I started working for myself, I think I assumed that these kinds of comparisons would go away as soon as I was laser-focused on my own work exclusively, instead of seeing what other people were doing in their cubicles. If only that were the truth!
Do you have any “real talk”-style confessions you’d like to share? Fill me in by dropping a comment below?
And don’t forget…
TONIGHT, Brittney Lynn and I are hosting a free webinar called Partnering for Press: How to Find + Share the Story of Your Business. We’ll be getting started at 8 pm EST and I’d love to see the Finding Plan A community representing! The webinar will be a great opportunity to learn more about the businesses of both PR and journalism and to pick up some tips on how to grab publicity for a side hustle you’re working on or a small biz you represent. Check out the details and register right HERE!
I’ll see you back here later this week for GIVEAWAY DAY!