As you might expect, since the launch of my own podcast a few weeks ago, my whole perspective on the podcasting world has changed.
But I’m no less obsessed as a listener.
I was worried that spending hours every week preparing for, recording, editing, and promoting episodes of my own show would somehow make me less interested in the others that I’ve always loved listening to — but, if anything, launching SSR has given me that much more respect for the podcasting community as a whole. Now that I know how much work goes into producing a podcast, I want to support the creators even more by subscribing and listening!
It’s been a while since I shared podcast recommendations — or, quite honestly, since I talked about any show other than my own — and with summer more than half over, I thought it was the perfect time to give you some ideas for great content you can listen to during your travels. (Check out my previous recommendation posts here, here, and here.) Here are a few pods I’ve been really into lately. I hope you find one you love!
1. Anna Faris Is Unqualified: I feel like I might be a little late to the party on this one, but I’m going to own that proudly, because I’m totally loving it, anyway. When I was growing up, I loved listening to advice radio shows when I was in the backseat of my parents’ car, and Unqualified brings me right back to that… but with an added element of celebrity. I’ve never been a huge fan of Anna Faris, but I’m really enjoying her as a podcast host and as an advice-giver to the listeners that call in!
2. RISE Together: There are tons of podcasts out there all about personal and professional development, but this one is all about developing as a couple! It’s brand new, and as I’m writing this post, there’s only one episode available, but I really enjoyed it. I recently read (in a day!) Rachel Hollis’s book Girl, Wash Your Face and I’ve been following her on Instagram for a while, but I particularly like what she has to say about marriage, as well as the dynamic between her and her husband Dave. I’m excited to see how this podcast develops over time.
3. Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard: Like pretty much everyone else I know, I find Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard to be total #marriagegoals, but it wasn’t until I tuned in to Armchair Expert that I realized just how impressive Dax is all on his own. Every week, he chats with a fellow celebrity about pretty much anything and everything you can imagine. This guy is smart, and I love listening to the way he encourages his guests to open up and share their opinions (even the controversial ones) with him. He’s a fantastic example of someone who can engage in respectful conversation even when he disagrees with the other person, and since I spend a lot of time interviewing people for stories I’m writing and for podcast episodes, I find this so impressive.
4. For The Love Of Money Podcast: Earlier this year, I went to Amber Lilyestrom’s Ignite Your Soul Summit, where Chris and Lori Harder were guest speakers. Chris is an expert on money mindset, and as you might remember if you read my post about making the decision to join The Wing back in May, his speech at the summit was a game changer for me. The For The Love of Money podcast offers similar food for thought on a more regular basis, and I would absolutely recommend it for anyone who struggles to find a healthy relationship with earning and spending money.
5. Can He Do That?: Clearly, this one might not appeal to people across the political spectrum, but I think that what the Washington Post has done here is create a really interesting frame through which to discuss current events. I’ve learned a lot from it, and I encourage you to give it a try even if you have some misgivings.
Obviously, I’d love if you would check out The SSR Podcast, too!
What podcasts have you been loving lately? Feel free to share in the comments below!
Have a great weekend! I’ll see you back here on Monday for GIVEAWAY DAY!